Master-Planning & Urban Design
Master-planning and urban design, while they do not directly produce physical buildings, are essential parts of architectural services, and areas where Grainge Architects has extensive experience.
The principle of strategic over-view for a given site can be as relevant for a small-scale developer or even private house-holder as it is for a major hospital or town centre development, and we have carried out such exercises at all levels and within all sectors. The essentials are the same:-
- Assess short and long-term needs
- Establish background opportunities and constraints (eg site features, planning policy, funding)
- Develop strategic options and evaluate feasibility
- Establish preferred option and development control plan, for use as background to staged development
And the benefits can be:-
- Establish optimum balance and synergy of uses
- Avoid short-term development which would prejudice future development
- Establish long-term infrastructure needs, allowing efficient and sustainable provision
- Maximise site potential and/or value
A master-plan can require numerous specialist site reports and surveys - ecological and tree surveys, flood-risk assessments (FRA), ground investigations, environmental impact assessments (EIA), topographic surveys, planning policy summaries, traffic surveys, market research and so on. We have extensive working relationships with engineers, planning consultants, ecologists, arboriculturalists, business consultants, commercial agents, cost consultants etc whose areas of expertise these are, and the essential skill in master-planning is the ability to assimilate, analyse and respond creatively to the sometimes conflicting demands that these may generate.
"Phase 4" of the ongoing redevelopment of this District General Hospital invo...read more...
A consortium of contractor, funders, housing association and design team put together a...read more...